Saturday, February 16, 2013

LaDonna's Great Adventure

Greetings Earthlings!

I've returned from what my very dear friend calls, "LaDonna's Great Adventure".  As some of you know, I went to Gainnesville, Florida to pick up my small RV.  I purchased a 19.5 ft Road Trek, SS Agile from a large dealership specializing in Class B RVs.  My plan was to fly there, get my RV, I call a Go-Buggy...and drive back.  But then I thought, wait a minute...I've always wanted to drive the Florida Keys.  Sooooo, since I'm in Florida, I'll drive the Keys, go to Key West, visit Ernest Hemingway's house, visit the polydactyl pawed cats (6 toes) and come home.

This seemed a perfectly do-able idea in my mind...however, as I prepared for my adventure...I experienced a few technical difficulties.  I wanted to use my I-Phone (1st gen) as a hot spot for my I-Pad.  That way I could post the progress of my trip along the way. 

So I went to the AT&T store to begin my preparation. 
I discovered I am not able to use my 1st Gen I-Phone to "tether" to my I-Pad...nope, won't do it.  I have to use a 4.0 or 4.5...or whatever it is.  So I had to upgrade my I-Phone, which I wasn't prepared to do (mentally) and that meant a new service plan...ugh!  I just hate having to pledge my allegiance to a service plan for two years.  Its awful!  It's like I'm serving time for a phone crime and I've been sentenced to two years.  Yuck!  OK...I'm done.

 So, I worked with the AT&T phone tech/sales person for about two hours setting up my new phone and connecting to my I-Pad. I figured I better use their time while I had it because once I completed the sale...I'd be toast.  And I am delighted to report that everything worked great while I was in the store.  I bought a hands free answering device; the carrying case for my phone...fortified with bounce technology (I drop my phone all the time so this was protection I had to have; and a peel and stick protective covering for my I-Pad.  I felt totally prepared to "Post on the Road". 

To make a long story short...my super-duper, I've got this under control plan...didn't work. NOPE, NADA, NINE!  The only thing I could use was my phone and IM.  Nothing else worked.  I had to be in a free WI-FI area to get on line. That's OK if I'm staying in a hotel...however, I only stayed in a hotel the first two mights of my trip.  The rest of the time I stayed in my RV answering IMs.  I didn't have the access I wanted to my e-mail accounts so I had to depend on my cell phone and IMs.

I know Starbucks offers free WI-FI and sometimes I could locate a Starbucks but many times I could not and it took more time to locate a Starbucks than I wanted to spend.  I needed driving time...so hunting for Starbucks was not on the agenda.


Many, many thanks to all of my dear, dear, dear friends who were worried about me and kept texting me along the road to make sure I was OK.  Thank you all so much.  And many thanks to those of you who called me to make sure I was OK.  You know who you are and I am so very grateful to have you in my life and for your care and concern.  So very grateful.  You guys and gals are the best!  I love you, every one!  Am I lucky or what!

I'm thinking of a name for the Go Buggy.  Maybe you can help?  Send me a suggestion for a name.  I'll consider it.  I'm offering a gift certificate to Starbucks.  Now who wouldn't like that!   Send in your submissions!  I'll post them and announce the winner.  My submission...Sweet Hitch Hiker (my favorite CCR tune).   Someone told me that they thought it was too...suggestive.  They weren't sure what it suggested but...why borrow trouble.  I agree, I certainly don't want to borrow trouble on the road, but I like it.  Let me know what you think?




I'll post more about Go Buggy's trip over the next few days.  This is just the beginning! 

Hope your day is fantastic and your travels are blessed!  
Just go!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures! We should plan a trip, I have a trailer that I tow, I love going, but it would be so much more fun with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it. I think a good road trip is good for the soul. I want to start a camping club. What do you think?

      Delete