Sunday, February 17, 2013

Go Buggy and Driver - Getting to Know Each Other


Greetings!
Well, I'm still in Gainnesville, Florida.  I haven't gotten out of the dealership yet.  But very soon I'll be on the road.
Here we go... 

After I collected my RV...I checked the gas tank.  One quarter tank in a 26 gallon tank.  I need to find petrol.  It's my first fill up and it's diesel.  Oh fun.  As luck would have it, there was a filling station at the end of the block so I swung in and began to learn about my RV. 

The gas cap is located behind a small swing out panel that is located inside the driver side door.  Yeah, I know, pretty cool, huh?  In order to fill the tank the driver side door must be open...there is no other way to access the gas cap.  I love that!  So I filled up with 3.96 per gallon diesel, and $86.00 later...gulp...I was on the road. 

A dear friend of mine (I have many dear friends, who don't like me using their names in my blog so they remain anonymous...I'm so lucky) who is well traveled; cautioned me to be vigilant about gas stations because sometimes it's hard to find diesel fuel. So I constantly monitored my fuel consumption, which was surprisingly efficient, and filled up at 1/2 tank intervals so in case I hit a dry spot I would have enough to get to the next opportunity. 

I am happy to report that along Highway 10 there are plenty of diesel fuel stations.  Even most of the Chevron Stations had a diesel pump...yippee!  I could use my favorite fuel.  There was plenty of fuel available for Go-Buggy!

I left Gainnesville and headed south to Miami, Florida.  Most of the time I monitored my vehicle to learn how it handled and operated.  I set my GPS using my I-Phone and my hand less device.  So it voiced directions to me as I drove.  Kind of like a Garmin or Tom Tom.  Pretty cool, huh?  Great fun. 

I motivated down the highway, paying toll as I went.  At one point I was able to collect a ticket and just drive down the toll road. We call them free ways...but this free way wasn't free...fun and scenic, but not free!  When I exited the road the toll both operator informed me I owed $15.75 for driving 120 miles on that road....hmmmm.  Pricey ride.  But necessary to get to Miami. 

I wanted to get to Key West Monday night.  Well, I soon discovered that I had grossly over extended my agenda.  I made good time but I was no where near Key West.  Hell, I wasn't even close to Miami.  Once you get to Miami, it's still another 120 miles to Key West. 

I spent the night in Baca Raton.  It's a huge city/superb with an exotic name and funky WalMart. 

In the RV world it is common knowledge that many WalMarts allow RV'rs to stay in the parking lot.  And a lot of them do.  So I pulled into the Walmart and did a drive around.  Then I parked and went into the store.  It didn't look well kept.  It really didn't.  The neighborhood looked...OK, but I wasn't feeling all warm and fuzzy about staying there.  I parked at the far end of the parking lot and watched a guy watch my rig for about 30 minutes.  Then my internal voice said, "Don't stay here.  It's not safe.  Find a hotel."   So I did. 

I found a La Quinta close by and they had a room.  I experienced my first, "Oh hell, my rig won't fit under the hotel entry turn around."  I had to park in the lot and walk in. I got the last room they had which was next to equipment that constantly hummed and buzzed most of the night.  I can sleep through jack hammers...movement bothers me, not noise.  I posted on Facebook that night from the La Quinta Hotel in Boca Raton and promptly fell asleep. I had flown all of Sunday night and didn't sleep well...movement...I arrived in Gainnesville at 10AM their time...picked up my RV and driven it to Boca Raton.  It was 11:30PM and I was exhausted.  Time for sleepy town....zzzzzzzzzzz.

Tomorrow I get to Miami...finally!  I'll post some interesting pictures, too.


I hope your day is wonderful and your travels are blessed.
Just go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment